Gift membership is the perfect present for children or adults with an interest in insects and other invertebrates. AES or Bug Club membership will help your loved one develop their interest, meet people with similar interests and become part of a very active society. Your gift also contributes to wildlife conservation and helps the environment.
Still unsure? Why not read our list of benefits to members.
How to buy gift membership
Buying a gift membership online is quick and easy. There are full instructions on how to use our online shop. However, all you really need do is:
- Go to the Amateur Entomologists' Society shop (http://shop.amentsoc.org).
- Choose the membership category you'd like to give as a gift and add it to your shopping cart.
- If you haven't used our shop before, enter your details in the billing information section when creating an account during the checkout procedure.
- In step 1 of the checkout, enter the gift recipient's name and address as the shipping/delivery details. You can do this by selecting "Change your address" and adding new name and address details.
- The 'special instructions' box in step 1 of the checkout can be used to provide additional information for your order, for example, please use the box to:
- Tell us if you would like the 'Welcome letter' sent to you (so you can present it to the gift recipient) rather than sent straight to the recipient.
- Provide a message to accompany your gift, for example, if it's a birthday or Christmas present.
- Tell us the date of birth of the recipient in this box if you are buying a gift membership of the Bug Club.
- After entering any special instructions you can then check out as normal and provide your payment details via PayPal.
Buy via post
To buy gift membership by post all you need do is download and print out the membership application form:
- Choose the membership category you'd like to give as a gift and tick it on the form.
- Complete the form using the details of the gift recipient.
- Complete the section on the form confirming this is a gift subscription by entering your name and the reason for the gift (for example, Christmas or birthday present).
- Complete the payment information section (remembering to include the additional postage charge if the recipient lives outside of the UK).
- Return the completed form to the Society's address as listed on the form.
We also have more detailed instructions on how to join by post.
When will they receive the gift?
Your order will then be processed and a Welcome letter sent to the recipient. The time of year when you enrol your loved one in the AES determines what periodicals they receive. For example, if they join in July they will receive the February, April and June periodicals in one go. The next periodical will then be sent out when it's published in August. If the gift subscription is made after October 1st then it is assumed to be for the coming calendar year with the Welcome letter being be sent at time of enrolment and the first periodical received in the new year.