How to join online
Joining online is quick and easy. The first step is to determine what membership category is most appropriate to you. For the purpose of these instructions we have assumed you're a new member wanting to receive the Bulletin and you live in the United Kingdom. You may find it helpful to print out these instructions to refer to later.
If you are familiar with shopping online then many of the instructions below will seem second-nature.
Instructions for joining online
- Go to the Amateur Entomologists' Society shop (http://shop.amentsoc.org).
- Assuming you've not used our shop before, select the link to "Log in" - this will allow you to create a new account.
- Complete your name, billing address, email address and choose a password on the form and press submit.
- You will then see a page confirming that your account has been created. Press the "Continue" button.
- Now select "Membership (inc. renewals)" from the menu.
- On the next page, the category you need to select is "UK individual adult membership".
- At the bottom of the page select the correct membership type. In our example this is "Bulletin only".
- If you are a UK tax payer please consider opting to allow the AES to claim back tax on your membership through the Gift Aid scheme. Gift Aid makes a massive difference to small charities like the AES as we can claim 28p for every £1 you pay on membership. To enable us to do this please tick the checkbox.
- Now press the "Add this to my cart" button.
- You will now see the current contents of your shopping cart. If you are happy with the cart's contents press the "Go to checkout" button.
- On the next page, check that your shipping address is correct. If not, you can change it using the "Change your address" button. Once the address is correct press the "Continue checkout" button.
- On the following page, confirm that you have read the shop's terms and conditions and also make sure your billing address is correct. Assuming the address is correct press the "Continue checkout" button if the address is incorrect then you can change it from the same page.
- You will now see a breakdown of your order including:
- Shipping address
- Billing address
- Your membership purchase
- Any optional comments you may have added to accompany your order. Please note, if you are enrolling someone else in the Bug Club then please enter their date of birth (in dd/mm/yyyy format) in the comments box.
- Please note that Memberships do not incur a shipping/packing charge
- Assuming the details are correct, press the "Confirm the order" button.
- You will now be taken to the PayPal Web site to make your payment. The Amateur Entomologists' Society uses PayPal to ensure the security of your transaction.
- If you already have a PayPal account you can log in and pay as usual. If you do not have a PayPal account you can either create one or pay using a credit card without creating a PayPal account.
- Once you have made your payment you will be returned to the AES shop and will see confirmation of your order.
- You will also receive an email from the AES and one from PayPal confirming the order and payment respectively.
- Your order will then be processed and a Welcome letter sent to you. The time of year when you join the AES determines what periodicals you receive. For example, if you join in July you will receive the first two Bulletins of the year in one go. The next two Bulletins will then be sent out to you when they are published.