Royal Entomological Society Orthoptera Special Interest Group 2018 meeting
01 November 2017 12:30 - 17:30
Location: Neil Chalmers Room, Natural History Museum, Kensington, London, UK.
This year's day of talks on grasshoppers & related species will be held on Wednesday 1st November 2017, 12:30 - 5:30pm, in the London Natural History Museum, followed by drinks and a cold buffet. All are very welcome. Please register to attend.
- 12:30 - Arrival and tea; posters & displays
- 1:00 - Welcome
- 1:10 - Darron Cullen (University of Leuven, Belgium): The role of yellow colouration in locust mating behaviour
- 1:35 - Julie Sarmiento-Ponce (University of Cambridge): Does age matter in female crickets when finding a mate?
- 1:50 - Aqib Ali (presenting), D. Gee, M. Bulling & K. Vahed (University of Derby): Does relative weapon size affect fighting success in the field cricket Platygryllus primiformis?
- 2:10 - Karim Vahed (University of Derby): Scaly crickets Pseudomogoplistes vicentae are in the running for the Wellcome Sanger Institute's 25 genomes project
- 2:15 - Break
- 2:35 - Fernando Montealegre-Z (University of Lincoln): From fossils to physical reality: Transformation of acoustic organs in crickets and bush-crickets
- 3:00 - Adam Bent (Anglia Ruskin University): Mate location under conditions of anthropogenic noise: What are the fitness consequences?
- 3:20 - Simon Springate (Natural Resources Institute): Thermal Biology of UK Orthoptera or: How I got distracted by less important things for 12 years. Part 1.
- 83:40 - Tim Gardiner: Grasshopper stories for children (The Voyage of the Queen Bee, Geronimo the Grasshopper)
- 83:50 - Luc Willemse (Naturalis Biodiversity Centre, Netherlands): ObsIdentify - a new app for automated species recognition in the field
- 83:55 - Break
- 84:15 - Martin Harvey and Paul Brock (Natural History Museum London): A re-survey of New Forest populations of the Large Marsh Grasshopper Stethophyma grossum
- 84:40 - Jacqui Smith (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds): Habitat requirements of the Large Marsh Grasshopper Stethophyma grossum
- 84:55 - Megan Shersby (Naturalist and writer): Bringing Orthoptera to the British Birdwatching Fair
- 85:05 - David Browne (Wildlife photographer): How to photograph grasshoppers and crickets
- 85:25 - Drinks, followed by supper
- 8:00 - Finish
This event was not organised by the AES. Please contact the event organiser if you have any queries.
Event organiser: Royal Entomological Society
Add event to - requires a Google Calendar account and for you to be logged in.
Instructions on importing this event into your calendar.
Events listings are also available as an RSS newsfeed. Information on how you can use our newsfeeds is available.