Glossary terms beginning with V
- Varroa mite
- an ectoparasite of bees.
Read more on: Varroa mite
- a vector is an organism that acts as an intermediary host for a parasite and transfers the parasite to the next host.
Read more on: Vector
- structures that support an insect's wing.
Read more on: Vein
- the arrangement of veins in an insect's wing. Venation is very important in the identification of insect species.
Read more on: Venation
- a toxin made by one organism and injected into another through a sting or bite.
Read more on: Venom
- the lower surface of an organism.
Read more on: Ventral
- a term used to describe the body shape of insect larvae that are maggot-like.
Read more on: Vermiform
- cf. Vespidae - insects in the family Vespidae within the Order Hymenoptera. They are more commonly known as the social wasps.
- insects in the family Vespidae within the Order Hymenoptera. They are more commonly known as the social wasps.
Read more on: Vespidae
- the superfamily that contains solitary and social wasps as well as ants.
Read more on: Vespoidea
- a structure (in biology a bodily organ or appendage) that has been reduced to the point where it no longer functions.
Read more on: Vestigial
- giving birth to live young (not eggs).
Read more on: Viviparity
- the number of broods of an organism within a year.
Read more on: Voltinism
- Vortis sampler
- a type of insect suction sampler that is said not to harm the insects collected.
Read more on: Vortis sampler
Back to Glossary
If you have found this glossary useful please consider supporting the Amateur Entomologists' Society by becoming a member or making a donation.