Books and leaflets
The AES also produces books aimed at young entomologists. The second book in this series, "A year in the lives of British ladybirds", has been published and this accompanies "British butterflies throughout the year" which was published in 2007.
The Amateur Entomologists' Society produces a wide range of publications that are highly respected and ideally suited to amateurs as well as providing sufficient depth to appeal to expert entomologists too.
The Society published its first book in 1941 and, although some of the early works are now out-of-print, the AES publishes a new book or a revision to an older title almost every year. Our books can now be purchased online through our shop or, alternatively, by post if you wish.
Many people will be familiar with the books, pamphlets and leaflets categorisation of our publications but this is no longer used.
- A Coleopterist's Handbook (Vol. 11) - Fourth edition
- A Dipterist's Handbook (Vol. 15) - Second edition
- A Guide to Moth Traps and their Use (Vol. 24)
- A Handbook for Lepidopterists
- A Label List of European Butterflies
- A Silkmoth Rearer's Handbook (Vol. 12)
- A year in the lives of British ladybirds
- An index to the modern names (Vol. 23a - for use with Vol 23)
- Basil the Beetle's Scary Adventure - a story book for children
- Breeding the British Butterflies (Vol. 18)
- Butterflies of Cyprus 1998 (Records of a year's sightings)
- British butterflies throughout the year
- Collecting Clearwings
- Collecting Het-Bugs (Hemiptera: Heteroptera)
- Collecting Lacewings
- Eddie the Earthworm saves the day
- Hostplants of British Beetles: A List of Recorded Associations. (Vol. 11a)
- How do insects fold and unfold their wings? An activity book
- Journal of the Entomological Exchange and Correspondence Club
- Larval Foodplants of the Butterflies of Britain and Ireland
- Practical Hints for the Field Lepidopterist (Vol. 23)
- Preparing & Maintaining a Collection of Butterflies & Moths
- Rearing and Studying Stick and Leaf-insects (Vol. 22)
- Rearing Crickets in the Classroom
- Rearing Parasitic Hymenoptera (Vol. 25)
- Rearing the Hymenoptera Parasitica
- Revised Flight Tables for the Hymenoptera
- Sammy the Slug wins his way to fame
- Some British Moths Reviewed
- The adventures of Scarlett the Ladybird
- The Amazing World of Stick and Leaf insects (Vol. 26)
- The larger water beetles of the British Isles
- The Study of Stoneflies, Mayflies and Caddisflies
- Woody the Woodlouse who forgot how to roll into a ball
- Working in Entomology
For historical interest a complete list of all of the Society's publications (past & present) is provided in the Society history section of this Web site.