Lee Valley Spring Wildlife Weekend 2009
15 May 2009 23:00 - 16 May 2009 23:00
Location: Waterworks Nature Reserve, Leyton, London, E10. UK.
Keys aims for the event are:
- to promote the Regional Park as a premier birdwatching and wildlife site to a local, regional and national audience
- to provide appropriate and relevant birdwatching, wildlife and conservation activities to a wide audience in regard to age and expertise and to educate and enthuse the audience
- to work in partnership with conservation organisations as well as commercial business.
Held on the historic site, formerly the Essex Filter Beds, the venue hosts one of the largest bird hides in London and over 322 species of plants, 25 species of breeding birds and a quarter of all British butterflies have been recorded on the reserve. The site has a visitor centre, including a cafe, toilets and classroom and interpretation areas.
The format will be similar to 2008 with a range of activities including:
- Partner activity and exhibitions - Wildlife organisations providing interactive activities alongside information
- Celebrity Lecture Programme - Each of celebrities will present an hour long lecture / specialist talk
- Workshop / Family Programme - a more informal drop in / out session of short interactive presentations and Q and A's.
- Demonstrations - including photography, art, woodcarving, willow weaving
- Guided Walks - A programme of guided walks
- Bird Ringing
- Children's activities
We are delighted to have the following wildlife celebrities join us at the event:
- Steve Backshall - British naturalist, writer and TV presenter (Really Wild Show, Lost Land of the Jaguar, Expedition Alaska, EarthPulse)
- Steve Leonard - Veterinary Surgeon and TV Presenter (Vet's School, Vets in Practice, Extreme Animals, Journey of Life, Orangutan Diary)
- David Lindo - "The Urban Birder" - Writer and Presenter (One Show)
- Mike Dilger - Naturalist and Presenter ('Nature's Top 40, One Show, Inside Out, Wild Gardens)
The event is free for the public to attend.
This event was not organised by the AES. Please contact the event organiser if you have any queries.
Event organiser: Lee Valley Regional Park Authority
Add event to - requires a Google Calendar account and for you to be logged in.
Instructions on importing this event into your calendar.
Events listings are also available as an RSS newsfeed. Information on how you can use our newsfeeds is available.