Glossary terms beginning with O
- ocelli are simple light detecting organs.
Read more on: Ocelli
- Ocular tubercle
- cf. Ocularium - a raised structure on the body of an Opilione that contains the eyes.
- a raised structure on the body of an Opilione that contains the eyes.
Read more on: Ocularium
- the Odonata (or dragonflies and damselflies) are an Order of insects. They have large, membranous wings and the larvae are usually aquatic predators.
Read more on: Odonata
- cf. Botfly - a family of true flies with larvae that are parasitic on humans and other mammals.
- the individual unit within an insect's compound eye.
Read more on: Ommatidia
- omnivores are animals whose diet is primarily composed of a mixture of plant and animal matter.
Read more on: Omnivore
- a term used to describe the body shape of insect larvae that are flat and broad.
Read more on: Onisciform
- cf. Type specimen - a specimen that acts as the name bearer for a species.
- a type of egg mass produced by several different groups of insect including Praying mantids and Cockroaches.
Read more on: Ootheca
- eight-legged invertebrates within the Class Arachnida.
Read more on: Opiliones
- cf. Abdomen - one of the three main body parts of an insect and one of the two main body parts of spiders.
- one of the seven taxonomic ranks used to classify living organisms. Order comes after Class and before Family.
Read more on: Order
- the Orthoptera (or grasshoppers and crickets) are an Order of insects. They commonly have large hind legs that are used for jumping.
Read more on: Orthoptera
- female reproductive organ that produces eggs.
Read more on: Ovary
- reproducing by means of laying eggs.
Read more on: Oviparity
- a tube that is used for laying eggs.
Read more on: Ovipositor
- cf. Egg - the first stage in the life cycle of many insects and other animals.
- Owlet moths
- cf. Noctuid - moths within the family Noctuidae.
Back to Glossary